Introduction: A key idea in today's lesson is Jesus healed a possessed man and sent him to do home ministry. This discussion centers around how, “we will be challenged to let God use us to do His marvelous will."
Read: Mark 5:1-13, 18-20
Summary Highlights: Jesus and His disciples came to the country of the Gadarenes. A man with an unclean spirit approached them. The man had a reputation for being unruly. There is an exchange of words between the devils and Jesus.
Jesus allowed the devils to possess about 2,000 nearby swine. The swine ran off a cliff to their deaths. The healed man sought to travel with Jesus. Jesus sent him home to be a witness, instead. The man became a great witness in the area.
1. Ready to serve. Notice in vs. 2 that as soon as Jesus and His disciples came out of the ship that a ministry opportunity came to them. .....Let's work on staying ready to serve the Lord.
2. Unclean spirit. Notice in vss. 4-5 that the demon possessed man is known for causing himself harm, living among tombs, and being unruly. ..... Let's work on having a clean spirit. A clean spirit is the opposite of an unclean spirit.
3. Knowing vs. living. Notice in vs. 7 that the demons knew who Jesus was. Jesus really is the Son of God. .....Let's make sure we live like we believe that Jesus is the Son of God.
4. Why? Notice in vs. 13 that Jesus essentially gave the demons permission to possess the nearby swine......Let's work on trusting God, even when we don't understand Him.
5. Obedience. Notice in vss. 18-19 that what the former possessed man desired was not in accord with what God has planned for his life.......Let's work on denying and dedicating ourselves to doing God's will for our lives.
6. Home ministry. Notice in vss. 19-20 that Jesus sent the man home to be a witness, and he appears to have done a great job. .....Let's seek the wisdom and energy to obey God's will for our lives.
What is one thing you will take from this material and work on, in regard to your discipleship goals?
Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.