Introduction: A key idea in today's lesson is God sends a word and the people repented. This discussion centers around how, “we will be challenged to work on our discipleship."
Read: Jonah 1:1-3; 3:1-9
Summary Highlights: The word of the Lord came to Jonah. He was commanded to preach against the wickedness in Nineveh. Instead of obeying, Jonah sought to run away. God sent word to Jonah again. It was the same word given before that fish belly drama.
Jonah was to preach to Nineveh. Jonah preached about God's coming wrath. There was a great turning to God. The king and the people returned to God from their wicked ways.
1. God's care. Notice in vss. 1-2 that God saw the condition of the people in Nineveh and sent a word through Jonah for the people......Let's be so thankful for God caring enough to send somebody to help us that we obey the word that He sends us.
2. Don't run. Notice in vs. 3 that Jonah tried to run from God's calling on his life. ....Let's strive to obey God's calling on our lives, instead of being like Jonah.
3. Skip the fish belly. Notice in vss. 1-2 that God gave Jonah a second chance to preach, after he spent some time in the belly of the fish......Let's work on being obedient, now, instead of going through unnecessary fish belly drama.
4. Put God's word out. Notice in vs. 4 that Jonah put the word of the Lord out and let people decide for themselves. .....Let's work on putting the word of the Lord on the minds and hearts of people, so they can decide for themselves to obey God or to reject His warning.
5. Turning to God. Notice in vss. 5-9 that it took the changing of the people, leaders and followers, to stop the destruction of the city. .....Let's work on helping people, leaders and followers, turn from wickedness to righteousness.
here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.