Introduction: A key idea in today's lesson is that God took care of His Son and our Savior, in spite of the wickedness of the day. This discussion centers around how, “we will be challenged to trust and obey God, in spite of the wickedness of our day."
Summary Highlights: The king sent the astronomers (i.e., wise men) to find the Child (i.e., Jesus). They were instructed to send word back to the king. They found the Child, as they were led by a star. Herod is very angry about being mocked.
He has many children under the age of two killed (i.e., genocide). There is great mourning, as prophesied. Herod died. Joseph was informed in a dream to go back to Israel. He ended up in Nazareth, as prophesied.
1. Sinful agendas. Notice in vss. 7-8 that King Herod had a wicked agenda and plan...... Let's work on living by God's agenda, which includes trying to put people with godly character in positions of influence.
2. God's provision of a star. Notice in vs. 9 that God provided a star, as a means of helping the astronomers/wise men meet Jesus...... Let's be open to God's using whatever method He wants to use to help humanity get right with Him.
3. God's trustworthy word. Notice in vss. 17-18 that the word of the Lord sent through Jeremiah came true...... Therefore, let's live according to God's word. His word says that if we obey, we will be blessed.
4. Trusting God in wicked times. Notice in vss.
16-18 that there were some very wicked times in our text......Let's work on our faith in God's taking care of His own, even when our days look mighty dark.
5. Troubles don't last always. Notice in vs. 19
that Herod is dead. A marvelous thing about this world is that troubles
don't last always. ....Let's develop the faith to endure our current troubles, with the hope of them being temporary.
6. Obedience. Notice in vss. 21, 23 that Joseph
obeyed God. It is one thing to hear God but another to obey Him......Let's work on understanding and obeying God's will for our lives.