(Genesis 45:1-8, 10-15; 9/27/20; Dr. Baines, Jr.)
Introduction: A key idea in today’s lesson is Joseph and his brothers are working on reconciliation. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on reconciling with especially family and friends.
Summary Highlights: In vss. 1-8, Joseph reveals himself to his brothers. It is a very emotional time for Joseph. His brothers are terrified. Joseph explains that God used his being sold as a way to save lives.
In vss. 10-13, Joseph gives instructions about where his brothers are to live. There is to be five more years of famine. Joseph instructs his brothers to go and get Jacob.
In vss. 14-15, Joseph and Benjamin are embracing one another. They are both weeping. Joseph kissed each brother and wept over them. The text notes this is the first time the brothers talk to him.
1. Emotions. Notice in vs. 1 that Joseph had a large emotional outburst. .....Let’s work on doing what we need to do to be and stay emotionally healthy.
2. Remember. Notice in vss. 3-4 that Joseph remembered his name and his being a brother to those who sold him, even though Pharaoh gave him a new name and a high position in Egypt......Let’s make sure we don’t allow circumstances to cause us to forget our name and relationships.
3. Terror. Notice in vs. 3 that the brothers of Joseph were terrified of Joseph. .....Let’s work on avoiding being terrified.
4. Mindset and God’s moving. Notice in vss. 5-8 that Joseph urges his brothers to avoid negative thinking and feelings as well as appreciate that God sent him to Egypt to save many lives......Let’s work on having positive states of mind and appreciating what God is doing in our current situations.
5. Gracious living. Notice in vss. 10-15 that Joseph shows great grace with his family....... Let’s work on living graciously right now.Click here for home page.