Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that God punished Sodom and Gomorrah, while taking care of Lot. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to trust and obey God, even while He punishes others.
Read Genesis 19:1, 4, 5, 15-23
I. God’s Warnings.
– Multiple sins. Notice in vss. 4-5 that the men were guilty of multiple sins. ..... Let’s work on avoiding the sins of the text.
– Doing God’s will with urgency. Notice in vss. 15-17 that Lot was called to urgently take who he could to escape the coming wrath of God. .....Let’s work on moving forward with doing God’s will with urgency.
– Trusting God’s goodness. Notice in vss. 18-22 that Lot acknowledges that he has been blessed, but yet he demonstrates less than full faith in God...... Let’s work on trusting and obeying God’s will for our lives.
Read Genesis 19:24-26
II. God’s Judgment.
– God’s punishment. Notice in vss. 24-26 that God destroyed the people, property, vegetation, animals, and even Lot’s wife......Let’s work on living so God blesses instead of punishes us.
Read Genesis 19:29
III. God’s Mercy.
– God’s integrity. Notice in vs. 29 that God keeps His word. ...... Let’s live like we trust God to be a promise keeper.
Conclusion: Let’s work on trusting and obeying God, even while He punishes others. God has much for those who obey His will.