Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that God worked through the friendship between Jonathan and David. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to develop relationships through which God can work.
Read I Samuel 18:1-5
I. A Covenant Made.
- Friendships. Notice in vss. 1-4 that David and Jonathan were close friends. …... Let’s work on developing godly friendships.
- Doing your jobs well. Notice in vs. 5 that David excelled in what he was doing, even though what he was doing was not directly “church” related......Let’s work on doing whatever we do in a way that brings glory to God.
Read I Samuel 19:1-7
II. A Covenant Observed. .
- Mutually beneficial relationships. Notice in vss. 1-7 that Jonathan advocates for his friend David. ….. Let’s work on developing mutually beneficial relationships.
- Blamelessness and glorifying God. Notice in vss. 4-5 that it was said of David that he did not do anything wrong and that God was working though him.….. Let’s work on blamelessness and glorifying God.
- A change of heart. Notice in vs. 6 that Saul listened to his son and changed his plans...... Let’s work on letting God rule in our decision making.
Conclusion: Let’s work on developing relationships through which God can work. God has much for those who obey His will.