(James 3:13-18; 5:7-12; 8/30/20; Dr. Baines, Jr.)
Introduction: A key idea in today’s lesson is that disciples should be known for living wise godly lives, despite suffering. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to live wise godly lives, despite our seasons of suffering.
Summary Highlights: In vss. 13-18, James talks about those who have godly wisdom. Such people are known for their good life and humble deeds. Harboring bitter envy and selfish ambition is earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. This kind of stuff leads to disorder and every evil practice. Godly wisdom is known for purity, peace, consideration, and more.
In vss. 7-12, James urges his readers to be patient until the Lord’s coming. They are urged to learn patience from the farmers. Grumbling leads to being judged. The prophets and Job are referenced as examples of patience. James urges his readers to avoid swearing by Heaven or Earth. They are to simply speak their “yes” or “no.”
1. Godly behavior and attitudes. Notice in vss. 13, 17-18 that believers are to be known for living by godly wisdom. .....Let’s work on our behavior (i.e., good deeds) and attitude (i.e., humility and loving).
2. Harboring negativity. Notice in vss. 14-16 that believers are to avoid harboring bitter envy and selfish ambition. ......Let’s keep ourselves from harboring negativity.
3. Patience. Notice in vss. 7-8, 10-11 that believers are urged to patiently wait on the Lord, which includes preserving through suffering. .....Let’s work on patiently trusting God to work things out as we suffer.
4. Communication. Notice in vss. 7, 10-11 that James used helpful illustrations and history to make his point. .....Let’s work on being great communicators of God’s word.
5. Grumbling against one another. Notice in vs. 9 that James urges his readers to avoid grumbling against one another, especially in light of the danger of being judged/condemned for such behavior......Let’s work on dealing with irritations in godly ways.
6. Keep your word. Notice in vs. 12 that James urges his readers to avoid swearing by Heaven or by Earth. ..... Let’s work on being disciples who keep our words.Click here for home page.