Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that believers are called to kill the old self and put on the new loving and peaceful self. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to kill the ungodliness and put on the godliness that God is calling for.
Read Colossians 3:5-9
I. Put Off.
- Killing the old self. Notice in vss. 5-9 that believers are called to put to death the old self. ....Let's work on putting to death our old sinful selves.
Read Colossians 3:10-14
II. Put On.
Paul talks about a unity in Christ that overrides the things that used to divide his readers. This new self is known for the following behaviors: compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, forgiveness, and love.
- Putting on the new self. Notice in vss. 10-14 that believers are to put on the new self. ....Let’s work on putting on the new obedient and loving self.
Read Colossians 3:15-17
III. Put Forth.
- Peace. Notice in vs. 15 that the peace of Christ is to rule the individual believer’s life and lead to peace in the congregation of believers. ....Let’s work on living in obedience to God’s word, so we can have both individual and congregational peace.
- Thankfulness. Notice in vss. 15-17 that believers are urged to be thankful. ....Let’s work on being thankful for what God has done, is doing, and will do for His people.
- Saying and doing in the Lord’s name. Notice in vss. 16-17 that believers are to help one another stay mindful of and obedient to God’s word. ....Let’s work on saying and doing those things that lead to our remembering and obeying God’s will for our lives.
Conclusion: Let’s work on killing the ungodliness and putting on the godliness that God is calling for. God has much for those who obey His will.