(John 14:1-14; 7/26/20; Dr. Baines, Jr.)
Introduction: A key idea in today’s lesson is that Jesus called His disciples to trust Him with their state of mind and prayer life. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on trusting Jesus with our state of mind and prayer lives.
Summary Highlights: In vss. 1-4, Jesus urges His disciples to not allow their hearts to be troubled. He talks about believing in God and believing in Him. His Father’s house has many rooms and He is preparing a place for them.
In vss. 5-7, Thomas said he didn’t know where Jesus was going. Jesus responds by telling Thomas that He (Jesus) is the way, truth, and life. No one comes to the Father except through Jesus. Jesus insists that knowing Him (Jesus) is knowing the Father.
In vss. 8-14, Philip essentially asks the Lord to show them the Father. Jesus responds by talking about how He (Jesus) is in the Father and the Father is in Him (Jesus). He talks about how the Father is working through Him.
Jesus talks about the work He has performed. Jesus talks about how those who believe in Him will do greater works than He has done. And He talks about how He will do whatever His disciples prayerfully asks in His name.
1. Guard your Heart. Notice in vs. 1 that the disciples were urged to keep their hearts from being troubled. .....Let’s work on keeping our hearts from being troubled.
2. God has plans for us. Notice in vss. 2-3 that Jesus has plans for His disciples to experience great things. .....Let’s work on reminding one another that the best is yet to come.
3. God’s moving in the lives of people. Notice in vss. 4-5, 7-10 that those who were close to Jesus were yet so far from where He wanted them to be in their understanding......Let’s work on discerning God’s moving in and through the lives of those around us and ourselves.
4. Jesus, the only way. Notice in vs. 6 that Jesus is the way, truth, and life. .....Let’s live like we believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father.
5. Good works. Notice in vss. 10-12 that Jesus was known for His good works and His disciples are expected to be known for the same......Let’s work on discerning and doing the good works that God is calling us to do for His glory.
6. Prayer. Notice in vss. 13-14 that Jesus talks about how He will do whatever His disciples ask Him for in His name. .....Let’s work on having healthy prayer lives that include praying “in the name of Jesus.”
<a href="http://www.christian-living-site.com/">Click here for home page.<a>