Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that Jesus teaches His followers to be loving. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to demonstrate godly love.
Read Matthew 5:38-42
I. Turning the Cheek.
- Eye for an eye. Notice in vs. 38 the idea of an “eye for an eye” or appropriate response to being mistreated. ….. Let’s work on trusting God’s plan for dealing with those who mistreat us.
- Non-resistance. Notice in vss. 39-42 that Jesus teaches His followers to be non-resistant to those who mistreat them. ….. Let’s prayerful discern and obey God’s will regarding both being non-resistant and being soldiers for the Lord.
Read Matthew 5:43-45
II. Confronting the Enemy.
- Loving neighbors. Notice in vs. 43 the call to love one’s neighbor. ….. Let’s work on loving our neighbors.
- Loving enemies. Notice in vss. 44-45 that Jesus urges His followers to love their enemies that they may be children of their Father in heaven. .....Let’s work on loving even our enemies.
Read Matthew 5:46-48
III. Becoming Like the Father.
- Godly perfection. Notice in vs. 48 that God’s people are to strive for godly perfection...... Let’s keep aiming for godly perfection.
Conclusion: Let’s work on demonstrating godly love. God has much for those who obey His will.
Click here for home page.