Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that God’s people should have a forgiving spirit. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on being known for our forgiving spirit.
Read Matthew 18:21-22
I. Posing a Problem.
- Unlimited forgiveness. Notice in vss. 21-22 that God calls for unlimited forgiveness. … Let’s work on forgiving others, as God instructs us to.
Read Matthew 18:23-35
II. Presenting a Parable.
- Listening and sharing. Notice in vss. 21-23 how Peter’s question led to Jesus’ parable. … Let’s work on listening to people and sharing God’s word in effective ways.
- Saved and forgiven. Notice in vss. 24-27 that the first servant had unpayable debt canceled because of the master’s mercy. ... Let’s make sure that we are saved/forgiven.
- Being forgiven should lead to be forgiving. Notice in vss. 28-30 that the first servant was cruel to the second servant who owed him. … Let’s work on showing God that we appreciate His forgiving us, by forgiving others.
- Prayer. Notice in vs. 31 that the fellow servants told their master, instead of trying to control their fellow servant. ... Let’s work on praying about things beyond our control.
- The cost of unforgiveness. Notice in vss. 32-35 that the first servant’s unforgiving spirit costs him so much. … Let’s learn from the mistakes of the first unforgiving servant.
Conclusion: Let’s work on developing a forgiving spirit. God has much for those who obey His will.Click here for home page.