Introduction: A key idea in today's Sunday School material is that God takes care of His own through whatever means He chooses. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to trust and obey God, no matter what method He chooses.
Read Joshua 2:3-9
I. Protection Through Rehab. In this section of the Sunday School material the King of Jericho is looking for the Israelite spies. Rehab lies to the authorities. She hid them and told them that she knew God was going to overtake Jericho.
- God sees us. Notice in vs. 3 of the Sunday School material that the King knew about the spies. It is not strange for us to be seen by someone, when we are trying to hide.
Unlike the spies, we are often tempted to hide because of our sinful agendas. However, even if we could hide from people, we can never hid from God.
Let's live like God always sees us. This kind of living should be known for obeying God's will - love God and others as we love ourselves.
- Rehab’s ethics. Notice in vss. 4-6 of the Sunday School material that Rahab lied. In ethics (i.e., the study of what is right and wrong), there is the notion of pursuing the “greatest good.”
In this text, they would say that telling the truth is good, but protecting the spies was better. Therefore, the right thing to do was to pursue the greater good - protect the spies, even if by lying.
Another theory talks about the “least of the evils” - lying or being a part of the killing of the spies. However we see Rahab and her ethics, we should note that Rehab is in the "hall of faith (see Heb. 11)."
Let's seek the wisdom and energy to do God's will. Ex-cons seeking employment, single mothers trying to survive with several small children, and scared soldiers in combat are some modern examples of where this kind of thinking is employed.
- Witnessing and faith development. Notice in vs. 9 that Rehab know about and believed in the power of God. It is probable that she heard people talking about what God was going to do. Faith comes by hearing.
Let's work on witnessing and developing our faith. We should tell others about the salvation and satisfaction found in Jesus, as we live according to th principles of God's word. We should develop our faith by hearing and obeying God's word.
Read Joshua 2:15-16, 22-24
II. Protection Through Careful Planning. In this section of Sunday School material Rehab advices the spies on how to escape. They followed the advice. The spies reported to Joshua what happened and how the land was given to the Hebrews by God.
- Working faith. Notice in vss. 16, 22-23 of the Sunday School material that there is a display of working faith in God. On one hand, Rehab and the spies had faith in God delivering Jericho into the hands of the Israelites.
On the other hand, they had the works of planning and executing the plan. Let's seek to have a working faith in God. We need faith in order to please God. But faith without works is dead.
- Proper communication. Notice in vss. 23-24 that the spies reported back to the leader with the full story.
There is too much trouble caused in the church, in our families, and on our jobs, when information is forwarded to the wrong person or when incomplete information is forwarded to the right person.
Helpers are mandatory reporters to the leader whom they are helping. Let's work on communicating the right message to the right person. The devil loves to see a church or a family that has problems with proper communication.
Conclusion: Let's trust and obey God, no matter what method He chooses. God has much for those who obey His will.
Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.
If you've found this website helpful, please click the Donate button. I'm grateful for your support.