Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that God wants His disciples to be witnessing disciple makers. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on our witnessing and disciple making.
Read Matthew 28:16-20
I. Commission in Matthew.
– Moving forward with eleven. Notice in vs. 16 that the eleven disciples were moving forward. Remember that it used to be 12, before Judas betrayed the Lord and killed himself..... Let’s do what we can with who we have.
– Faith filled worshipping disciples. Notice in vs. 17 that some of the disciples were doubting worshippers. ….. Let’s work on being disciples known for our faith in and worship of God.
– God’s authority. Notice in vs. 18 that Jesus announces that He has all authority. ….. Let’s live like we believe that God has all authority.
– Making disciples. Notice in vss. 19-20 that Jesus commissions His disciples to go and make disciples with the assurance that He would be with them......Let’s work on making disciples like we trust that God is with us.
Read Acts 1:6-8
II. Commission in Acts.
– Being in sync with God’s will. Notice in vss. 6-7 that the disciples asked about the wrong type of kingdom, and Jesus redirected the conversation...….Let’s work on being in sync with God’s will for our lives.
– Being local and global witnesses. Notice in vs. 8 that the disciples were to be empowered witnesses from Jerusalem, through Samaria, to the ends of the Earth...….Let’s work on being effective empowered witnesses of the goodness of God.
Conclusion: Let’s work on our witnessing and disciple making. God has much for those who obey His will.