Sunday School Material 3-6-11: Instructions About Worship
(I Timothy 2:1-6; 3:14-16; 3/6/11)
Introduction: A key idea in today's Sunday School material is that God wants His people to pray with evangelism in mind. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on our praying and active concern with evangelism.
Read I Timothy 2:1-6
I. Worship's Worldwide Reach. Paul urges timothy to have the people to pray. The prayers should include praying for the authorities. The hope of such praying is that there would be peaceful living and people getting saved.
- Exhortation. Notice in vs. 1 of our Sunday School material that believers are being exhorted or strongly encouraged to pray. Living the Christian life doesn't always come easy. Therefore, God sends people into our lives to both help us understand His will and then live by His will.
Let's submit to God's exhorting us through whomever He chooses. Let's also exhort one another to understand and live by God's will, especially since we are all parts of the same body.
- Praying for everyone, especially leaders. Notice in vss. 2-4 of our Sunday School material that believers are to pray for all people, especially those who are in authority (i.e., Kings). Woe unto us, if all of our praying is focused on simply ourselves. We need to pray for others as well. We need to especially pray for those who have positions of influence.
Too many are better at criticizing than at praying. When we pray, God is known for answering our prayers, and He is known for helping us through our times of trouble with peace and joy. Let's work on praying for others, especially leaders.
- Evangelism's priority. Notice in vss. 3-6 of our Sunday School material that the hope of praying for all people and leaders is that people may get saved through faith in Jesus Christ. When leaders do a good job of governing and people get along with one another then Christians can both experience peaceful lives and give more attention to evangelism.
We should not simply seek our peaceful lives. We should remember that just as God saved us, He wants everyone to be saved. Let's make sure we keep evangelism high on our list of priorities.
The "Each Reach One" ministry, inviting and bringing unchurched loved ones to church, and supporting the church's evangelistic efforts (e.g., community evangelism, follow-up evangelism, and membership orientation) are so important.
Read I Timothy 3:14-16
II. Worship's Essential Core. Paul declares his intention. He wanted to leave clear instructions about how believers were to conduct themselves. He mentions the mystery of godliness. Jesus came in a body and ended up in glory, after being believed on by the world.
- Covering our duties. Notice in vs. 14 of our Sunday School material that Paul had a plan in place, so that if things did not work out like he wanted, things could go on. Because we are many members of one body and we need each other, it is important for us to have back up plans and make sure that somehow our duties are covered.
When we simply fail to do what is expected of us, it often leads to stress in the body and then a lack of trust, when it is time for the next assignment. Let's work on doing our part and make preparations for unexpected things coming up. This is an even greater point for those who are known for procrastinating.
- Excellence. Notice that in vs. 15-16 of our Sunday School material that Paul wrote some instructions, so that things could be in order among the people of God. If there should be order anywhere, it should be in the church. However, too often times we are concerned with simply making up stuff and excusing our lack of excellence.
Let's work on being people of excellence. This calls for clear and reasonable instructions being given, followed, and enforced.
God has invested so much in us (i.e., His Son) and has such a great work for us to do (i.e., godly evangelism and edification) that we should never be satisfied with any notion that says that God's church is to receive less than our very best.
Conclusion: Based on our Sunday School material, let's work on our praying and active concern with evangelism. God has much for those who obey His will.
Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.
From Sunday School 3-6-11 to Sunday School
From Sunday School Material 3-6-11 to Home Page