Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that Jesus preached repentance and called men to follow Him (i.e., discipleship). Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on repenting, preaching, and disciple making.
Read Matthew 4:12-13
I. Two Transitions. J
- Prison experiences. Notice in vs. 12 that John the Baptist was in prison because of his ministry. .....Let’s be mindful of suffering for the Lord.
- Discerning God’s will. Notice in vss. 12-13 that Jesus left Nazareth and went to Galilee near Zebulun and Naphtali......Let’s seek discernment about where God wants us to be.
Read Matthew 4:14-17
II. One Light.
- Trustworthy scriptures. Notice in vss. 14-16 that Jesus’ being in the areas of Zebulun and Naphtali seem to fulfill a prophesy in the book of Isaiah...... Let’s obey God’s word like we believe that it is trustworthy.
- Preaching and obedience. Notice in vs. 17 that Jesus preaches about repenting because the kingdom of heaven has come near......Let’s be mindful of the purpose of preaching and living in obedience to the King.
Read Matthew 4:18-22
III. Four Responses.
- Seeing and calling people to be disciples. Notice in vss. 18-22 that Jesus saw the men and called them to be disciples...... Let’s work on seeing and calling people to discipleship.
- Great disciples. Notice in vss. 20, 22 that the men left what they were doing to follow Jesus immediately...... Let’s work on being great disciples who obey God quickly.
Conclusion: Let’s work on repenting, preaching, and disciple making. God has much for those who obey His will.Click here for home page.