(Mal. 2:1-9; 3:5-6; 3/29/20; Dr. Baines, Jr.)
Introduction: A key idea in today's material is that God will punish ungodly priests and evil doers. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to be godly disciples of Christ who are known for treating people right.
Read Malachi 2:1-9
I. Failing the Call.
- Ungodly priests. Notice in vss. 1-3, 7-9 that God sees when priests are not doing right and plans to punish them. …. Let's avoid God's punishment by being faithful.
- Levite's example. Notice in vss. 4-6 that Levite is noted as one who taught and lived by God's will...…. Let's work on being more like Levite.
Read Malachi 3:5-6
II. Renewing the Call.
- Evil doers. Notice in vs. 5 that God sees and responds to evil doers. .....Let's work on avoiding the sins of the text.
- Mistreating the vulnerable. Notice in vs. 5 that oppressing the vulnerable is evil doing. .....Let's work on treating everyone with at least respect and fairness and treat the really vulnerable with compassion.
- God's unchanging grace. Notice in vs. 6 that because of God's unchanging character the descendants of Jacob are not destroyed. .....Let's work on living like we believe that God's unchanging grace is the source of our lives.
Conclusion: Let's work on being godly disciples of Christ who are known for treating people right. God has much for those who obey His will.