Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that Jesus is worthy to be praised forever and ever. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to both praise and obey God, as if He is worthy to be praised.
Read Revelation 5:5-7
I. The Lamb Appears. John, the writer of our text, is comforted by one of the elders. In our Sunday School material instead of weeping about an unopened scroll, One appears who is able to open it.
The One who is able to open the scroll is referred to as the Lion of the tribe of Judah, Root of David, and Lamb. The Lamb is said to have seven horns and seven eyes to represent the seven spirits of God. We know the Lamb as Jesus.
- From weeping to trusting. Notice in vs. 5 the call for John to move from weeping to trusting that Jesus can fix it. In like manner, there are many things in this life that are too difficult for us to handle by ourselves. But with Christ, all things are possible.
Let’s work on putting our joyful trust in Him, instead of weeping about our inabilities. As we know, God’s ability is used on God’s schedule and in God’s ways. We just have to trust Him to do what is right and when it is the right time.
- Our matchless Jesus. Notice in vs. 6 that the Lamb/Jesus is pictured with seven horns and eyes. The Sunday School material says that this symbolizes Jesus’ complete power and watchfulness.
Furthermore, notice that Jesus takes the scroll out of the right hand of God the Father/the One sitting on the throne. This shows privilege and authority. Jesus is in a class all by Himself. Jesus is so much more than a prophet or miracle worker. He is Lord.
Let’s live like He is Lord of our lives. Such living should include living by God’s will for us to love Him and others, as we love ourselves.
Read Revelation 5:8-13
II. The Lamb is Worshipped. The Lamb takes the scroll. The four living creatures and 24 elders fell down and worshipped the Lamb. In our Sunday School material the lyrics of their praise song are given.
There is a huge number of angels singing/saying the praises of the Lamb. And then all creatures in Heaven and Earth join in the praise period.
- Enthusiastic song service. Notice in vss. 8-12 that the elders, beasts, and everyone else worshipped Jesus with great enthusiasm and singing.
In like manner, every believer should be known for enthusiastic worship of the Lord. Our song service should help us worship God with enthusiasm.
Let’s work on worshipping God with enthusiastic song service. Just think about how good God has been, is being, and promises to be to you, in spite of your many sins.
- Belonging to God. Notice in vs. 9 that Jesus died and purchased us for God the Father. We don’t belong to ourselves. Since we belong to God, we should be extra careful about how we treat the bodies that God allows us to live in.
We should make sure we give God our very best in service. It is embarrassing for us to rob God of His tithes and offerings, when you consider that all that we have ultimately belongs to Him. Let’s live like we belong to God.
- Our priesthood. Notice in vs. 10 of our Sunday School material that we were purchased to be priests who serve God. A chief duty of the priest is to teach.
We cannot teach what we do not know. Therefore, we are called to prayerfully study God’s word, so we can know God and His will.
We are called to share God’s will with others. It is important to note that people often learn more from our example than from our teaching sessions or talks. Let’s work on being priests of God.
- Praising the Lord forever. Notice in vs. 13 that praising the Lord doesn’t get old for God’s people. There are too many who behave as if they applauding the preacher or choir, instead of praising God.
There are too many who come to be entertained or inspired, instead of and surely more than to worship God.
However, when we come to worship God, we should find our energy and attitude renewed, because God is worthy to be praised all day and every day. Let’s make sure we are really praising the Lord, in our worship services.
Conclusion: Let’s work on praising and obeying God, as if He is worthy to be praised. God has much for those who obey His will.Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.