Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that God is compassionate towards those who seek to be right with Him. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to be thankful for God’s compassion towards us and help others experience the same.
Read Luke 15:11-12
– Estate planning. Notice in vss. 11-12 that the father had plans for blessing his children...... Let’s work on being wise stewards of our abilities.
Read Luke 15:13-16
– From bad to worse. Notice in vss. 13-16 how things went from bad to worse for the young man. .....Let’s work on staying in God’s will, instead drifting into a bad situation.
– Work ethic and preparation. Notice in vs. 15 that the young man at least had a work ethic...... Let’s help our young people with their work ethics and preparation.
Read Luke 15:17-19
– The power of pain. Notice in vss. 17-19 that starving played a role in the young man coming to his senses, humbling himself, and seeking to get back with his father. ….. Let’s work on coming to our senses and humbling striving to be in fellowship with God because of biblical principles and the experiences of others.
Read Luke 15:20-24
– God’s compassion. Notice in vss. 20-24 that the father had compassion on his son, when he came home, instead of treating him like a servant...... Let’s work on choosing to obey God’s will and being thankful for His compassion when we repent.
Conclusion: Let’s work on being thankful for God’s compassion towards us and help others experience the same. God has much for those who obey His will.