Introduction: A key idea in today’s material is that God punishes sin and wants His people focused on justice and righteousness. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on our sins and pursue justice and righteousness.
Read Amos 5:18-20
I. Dismal Day.
- Be careful what you ask for. Notice in vs. 18 that for the people to desire the “Day of the Lord” is for them to desire something bad for them. ... Let’s seek God’s will being done in our lives.
- Sin and punishment. Notice in vss. 18-20 that sin leads to punishment. ... Let’s work on our sin issues, so we can avoid some of the pain in our lives.
Read Amos 5:21-24
II. Disappointed God.
- Religion vs. godliness. Notice in vss. 21-23 that religious activities without godly living is rejected by God. ... Let’s work on making sure that we live godly lives, not just religious lives.
- Buying God’s favor? Notice in vs. 22 that the idea of “indulgences” doesn’t work with God. ... Let’s give with the right attitudes.
- Justice and righteousness. Notice in vs. 24 that God wants justice and righteousness. ... Let’s work on making sure that our relationship with God moves us towards justice and righteousness for others.
Conclusion: Let’s work on our sins and pursue justice and righteousness. God has much for those who obey His will.
Click here for home page.