Introduction: A key idea in today’s material is that Jesus teaches about proper motives in giving to the needy and praying. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to work on ministering to the needy and praying with the right motives.
Read Matthew 6:1-4
I. On Giving.
– Giving to be praised. Notice in vs. 1 the teaching to avoid doing good things for the purpose of your receiving praise from people...... Let’s avoid doing good for the bad motive of our being praised by people.
– Ministering to the needy the right way. Notice in vss. 2-3 that God’s people should be known for ministering to the needy with proper motives. .....Let’s help with the right motive – glorifying God with what He has given us.
– God rewards obedience. Notice in vs. 4 that God will reward obedience......Let’s obey God like we trust Him to bless us.
Read Matthew 6:5-8
II. On Prayer.
– Praying to be praised. Notice in vss. 5-6 that Jesus teaches His followers to pray in private, not in public to be seen. .....Let’s avoid praying for the wrong reason.
– Babbling. Notice in vss. 7-8 that God’s people are to avoid babbling. …..Let’s work on praying with the right motive.
Conclusion: Let’s work on ministering to the needy and praying with the right motives. God has much for those who obey His will.
Click here for home page.