Read Ephesians 2:11-12
I. Humanity Divided. In our Sunday School material Paul calls his readers to remember their former state. They used to be "uncircumcised." They used to be separated from Christ and without hope.
- Hopeless without Christ. Notice in vss. 11-12 the idea of remembering one's life without Christ. Prior to accepting Christ as our savior, we were all on our way to a burning Hell. Furthermore, all who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are still doomed to Hell.
Let's be so thankful for our salvation that we give our best to helping others get saved as well. Without Christ, the best person is doomed to Hell.
Read Ephesians 2:13-22
II. Humanity United. Paul moves from his readers being separated from Christ to their being united in Christ. Not only are the readers united with Christ, but they are united with other believers. In our Sunday School material believers are likened to a building of God or Temple.
- Fellowship with God. Notice in vs. 13 that fellowship with the Father is made possible by accepting Jesus as savior by faith. It is marvelous and so satisfying to be in fellowship and peace with God.
We can endure so many problems, when we know that things are well between God and ourselves. However, life seems so empty, when we are out of fellowship with God.
A pocket full of money and a room of supposed friends are yet empty without fellowship with God.
Let's live like we appreciate being in fellowship with God. Such living includes obeying God's commands to love Him and others, as we love ourselves.
- Unity among believers. Notice in vss. 14-15 of our Sunday School material that through Christ, believers are to be in fellowship with one another. As we think about having the same Holy Spirit in each of us, it should not be difficult to understand our having fellowship among one another.
However, there is still such an embarrassingly large amount of fragmentation and division in our individual churches and even more among various individual churches. Let's work on improving the amount of unity we have with other believers. The notion of “unity in essentials, liberty in non-essentials, and love in all things” has much merit.
- God's use of people. Notice in vss. 17, 10 of our Sunday School material the importance of preaching, the prophets, and apostles. God has a long track record of using human agents to carry out His will.
Let's make sure we do our part and be open to God's usage of others. We are not all preachers, prophets, or apostles, but we all have a part to play.
- Living for God's glory. Notice in vss. 20-23 of our Sunday School material that we are a building and being built for God's purposes. Our calling is not to get God to help us with what we want to do with our lives, but to find and carrying out God's will for our lives.
We should be conscious of the ongoing work that God is doing in our lives. Let's work on making sure God is getting the glory out of our lives.
Conclusion: Let's work on unity with Christ and other believers. God has much for those who obey His will.Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.