Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that David obeyed God’s will regarding the building of an altar, instead of a temple. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to obey God’s will, no matter how it compares to our initial desires.
Read I Chronicles 17:1, 3, 4, 11-14
I. Building a House.
- Building a house for the Lord. Notice in vs. 1 that David wanted the Lord to be in a house similar to or better than his own. .....Let’s work on glorifying God.
- God’s overriding our plans. Notice in vss. 3-4 that Nathan allowed God to override what he thought was the will of God. ….. Let’s allow God to override our understandings.
- Trusting God with the bigger picture. Notice in vss. 11-14 that the Lord had a plan that went past the life of David......Let’s work on trusting God to work things out for the good of His people as He sees fit.
Read I Chronicles 21:18, 21-27
II. Providing a Site.
- Building an altar instead of a temple. Notice in vs. 18, 21 that David obeyed God’s will regarding the building of an altar, even though this was different than David’s original desires......Let’s work on obeying God’s will, no matter how it relates to what we wanted to do.
- Supporting God’s work. Notice in vss. 23-24 that Araunah wanted to support the work of God but David wanted to make sure that he did his part as well. .....Let’s work on giving to support God’s work based on our abilities and God’s calling on our lives.
- Giving in meaningful ways. Notice in vs. 26 that David offered burnt and fellowship offerings......Let’s work on giving in meaningful ways.
Conclusion: Let’s work on obeying God’s will, no matter how it compares to our initial desires. God has much for those who obey His will.