Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that Moses urged the people to obey God’s word and be blessed. Prayerfully, we will be challenged to learn and obey God’s will for our lives with the expectation of God blessing us.
Read Deuteronomy 4:1-4
I. Obedient History.
– Obedience and blessings. Notice in vs. 1 that learning and obeying God’s will (i.e., decrees and laws) leads to blessings...... Let’s work on learning and obeying God’s will, so we can be blessed.
– Modifying God’s will. Notice in vs. 2 the prohibition against modifying God’s will. ….. Let’s avoid trying to modify God’s will.
– Learning from others. Notice in vss. 3-4 that one can learn from the examples of others. Let’s work on learning from the examples of others to obey, instead of disobey.
Read Deuteronomy 4:5-8
II. Obedient Future.
– Obeying God everywhere. Notice in vs. 5 that God’s word is to be obeyed in the promised land like in the wilderness. ….. Let’s work on obeying God’s word everywhere we go and at all times.
– Drawing others with obedience. Notice in vss. 6-8 that when God’s people lived by God’s word, other nations were expected to see and be drawn closer to the Lord.…... Let’s work on living so people can see the benefit of living as a disciple of Christ.
III. Reasons to Obey.
– The Ten Commandments. Notice in vs. 13 that the Ten Commandments are mentioned. ….. Let’s work on obeying the spirit of the Ten Commandments.
Conclusion: Let’s work on learning and obeying God’s will for our lives with the expectation of God blessing us. God has much for those who obey His will.