Introduction: A key idea in today’s Sunday School material is that Paul resolves to rejoice in challenging circumstances. Prayerfully, we will also be challenged to rejoice in challenging circumstances.
Read Philippians 1:12-14
I. Gospel Advanced.
- Chains for Christ. Notice in vs. 13 that Paul says that others can see that his chains are “chains for Christ.” .....Let’s work on making sure that our chains and suffering have to do with Christ and not with our sins.
- Our chains and God’s glory. Notice in vss. 12-14 that Paul’s handling of his chains led to God getting the glory.......Let’s work on handling our chains in ways that bring glory to God.
Read Philippians 1:15-18a
II. Christ Preached.
- Doing good for bad reasons. Notice in vs. 15 that there are some people who do good things for bad reasons. ......Let’s work on avoiding the sin of doing good for bad reasons.
- Rejoicing. Notice in vss. 17-18 that Paul rejoices about the good being done, even if it is being done for bad reasons. .....Let’s work on focusing on things worth rejoicing about.
Read Philippians 1:18b-21
III. Results Considered.
- Our hope. Notice in vs. 19 that Paul expected the prayers of his readers and God to work things out for him. .....Let’s live like we trust God to work things out for His people.
- Service and death. Notice in vss. 20-21 that Paul was focused on serving the Lord, as long as he had breath in his body......Let’s work on serving the Lord and trusting Him when death comes knocking on our doors.
Conclusion: Let’s work on rejoicing in challenging circumstances. God has much for those who obey His will.
Click here for home page.