Quick Healthy Recipes and Suggested Snacks
Quick healthy recipes, as used in this article, is a reference to arrangements of food that are tasty, good for your health, and don’t take long to make.
If you are like me, you like to eat (smile), but it doesn’t help you lose weight. Eating is necessary to fuel the body. Some people skip meals, because they are trying to watch their weight. Others skip meals, because they simply don’t have the time to make them.
I suggest the following six quick healthy recipes (i.e., two for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) and some simple snacks that will help with watching your weight and managing your time.
Quick Healthy Recipes for Breakfast
Deluxe Microwave Oatmeal – 5 minutes to make
- 1 packet of instant microwave oatmeal (i.e., vanilla or maple flavors work well)
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped fruit (i.e., peaches, strawberries, apples, etc.) or 2 tablespoons dried fruit (i.e., raisins, dried cherries)
- 1 tablespoon of chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup of soy milk or low-fat milk
1. In a microwave-safe soup bowl, blend all ingredients together with spoon.
2. Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes; stir well.
3. Microwave another minute or until oatmeal is cooked as desired.
Nutritional Information (i.e., with chopped fresh fruit):
257 calories, 9 grams of protein, 49 grams of carbohydrate, 3.5 grams of fat
Of the quick healthy recipes that I suggest, this one may be high in carbohydrates for diabetics; however, it will provide a good start for the day.
It is recommended that diabetics eat no more than 45 carbs in each meal and 15 carbs in their snacks. So when eating this meal, eat less carbs in your other meals.
Vegetable Omelet – 10 minutes to make
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon of nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup of chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon of reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar or grated parmesan cheese
1. Combine egg whites, milk, and herbs in a small bowl.
2. Coat a small nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat the skillet on medium to low heat.
3. Add chopped spinach. As it wilts, pour egg white mixture over the spinach and allow to set around the edges.
As the edges set, lift them gently with a spatula and tip the skillet to allow the remaining liquid to run underneath. When the egg whites are set, sprinkle the cheese on top, then fold the omelet in half. Serve immediately.
81 calories, 13.4 grams of protein, 3.4 grams of carbohydrate, 1.6 grams of fat, 1 gram of fiber
Quick Healthy Recipes for Lunch
Chicken Salad with Peaches and Walnut – 15 minutes
- 2 large fresh peaches
- 2 cups of chopped, cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup of poppy seed salad dressing or any low fat dressing you desire (If you are really serious about watching your calories, I suggest that you put your salad dressing on the side and sprinkle it on your salad. Better yet, dip your fork into the dressing before you put the salad on your fork.)
- 6 cups of mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup of toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Chop 1 peach into 1/2 inch pieces; place in large bowl. Add chicken and onion and toss with enough dressing to coat.
2. Add greens and walnuts to bowl and toss until coated. Mound salad on large plate. Cut remaining peach in thin wedges and place on top to garnish.
417 calories, 23.3 grams of protein, 23 grams of carbohydrates, 25.7 grams of fat, 4.6 grams of fiber
Seasoned Turkey Burger – 25 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds of ground turkey breast
- 1 (1 ounce) package of dry onion soup mix
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
- 6 hamburger buns, split
1. In a large bowl, mix the turkey with the onion soup mix, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, and egg. Refrigerate the mixture about 10 minutes, then form into 6 patties.
2. Preheat the grill with medium-high heat.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place the patties on the grill. Cook for 15 minutes, turning once, or until well done. The inside of the burgers will look whitish in color when cooked through. Serve on buns.
344 calories, 27.8 grams of protein, 25.3 grams of carbohydrates, 13.9 grams of fat, 1.5 grams of fiber
Quick Healthy Recipes for Dinner
Stuffed Roasted Chicken in the Crock Pot – 7 hours while you are doing other things
- 3 to 4 pounds of whole chicken
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 cups of seasoned stuffing mix
- 2 tablespoons of dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of sage
- Dash freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- Dried parsley flakes
1. Rinse the chicken well and pat dry; remove any excess fat.
2. In a skillet, melt the butter, sauté the onion, celery, and mushrooms until tender.
3. Toss in the stuffing mix, 2 tablespoons parsley flakes, sage, pepper, and broth. Stir until stuffing is moistened.
4. Loosely stuff the chicken with the dressing. If using a large crock pot, squeeze the chicken to keep its shape.
5. Lightly oil the crock pot. Put the remaining dressing in the crock pot. Place chicken on top of dressing. Rub the chicken breast with 1 teaspoon of butter; sprinkle with paprika and parsley flakes.
6. Cover and cook on low setting for 7 hours.
7. Remove the chicken to serving platter and surround with scoops of dressing. Garnish as desired.
No nutritional information available for this meal. If you want to cut back on some of the calories and fat, use a low fat margarine instead of butter.
Southern Fried Cabbage – 20 minutes
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into thirds or better yet smoked turkey meat
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 pinch of white sugar
1. Place the bacon and vegetable oil into a large pot over a medium heat.
2. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the smoked turkey is done which can be up to 15 minutes.
4. Add cabbage, onion, and sugar to the pot.
5. Cook and stir continuously for 5 minutes, until tender
191 calories, 4.9 grams of protein, 14.7 grams of carbohydrate, 15 grams of fat
In addition to the quick healthy recipes above, almonds, low fat cheese with low fat turkey, and one piece of fruit like a medium apple or a small banana are great snacks.
Low fat yogurt, chicken broth with turkey meat, tuna fish on wheat bread, peanut butter on wheat bread, salad, and cup of low fat vegetable soup are also great healthy snacks.
Conclusion: If you want to work on getting your health together, you must work on your diet. These quick healthy recipes will help you start.
Learn to substitute sugars with honey and other sweeteners, and substitute butter with lower fats like low fat margarine. Also, instead of using so much salt use herbs. Please complete the feedback form below.
From Quick Healthy Recipes to Christian Health
From Quick Healthy Recipes to Home Page