Read Joshua 10:29-43
2. Destruction of the Amorite Coalition (continued). There is one battle and victory after another. All of glory and victory is due to God’s fighting for Israel. Joshua and Israel return to Gilgal.
- Keep moving. Notice in vs. 29 that the people of God keep on moving. There are too many who get stuck in past accomplishments or failures. God is calling us to continue to hear and obey His voice for today.
Let’s work on continuing to do God’s will, instead of getting stuck in our yesterdays. Think about how this applies to your personal development, relationships, church, and community.
- Different lengths of battles. Notice in vs. 32 of Joshua that some battles take two days, while others only take one, and some take more. There is no one size fits all. We need to develop the faith needed to fight short and long term battles.
Prayerful study of God’s word with a mind to obey and with the support of disciples will help us develop our faith. Let’s work on the faith needed to fight the battles before us, no matter how long they last.
- People ganging up against you. Notice in vs. 33 that the enemy may join forces with one another to block what God is doing in your life.
People who could not stand one another can come together to try to block what God is doing for you or through you on your job, in your family, in your church, and even in your community.
Brace yourself for the devil’s tricks. Thank God, God is stronger than all of our enemies put together. Let’s trust God to keep us, in spite of enemies ganging up against us.
- Finish. Notice in vs. 40 of Joshua that absolute destruction prevents future battles. There are too many times in our lives that we don’t finish our assignments, and consequently, we have to come back and redo the assignment.
There are times when we need to terminate relationships. There are times when we need to stop eating certain types of food. There are times when we need to change our jobs.
When we lack the wisdom or courage to finish the assignment, we often have to come back to the assignment in the future. Let’s seek the wisdom and courage to finish what God is calling us to finish.
As we consider this application, we should note that there are some times when God is not calling us to terminate a relationship. Some times the relationship simply needs a little room. We should seek wisdom to know when to do what.
- A great campaign. Notice in vss. 42-43 how much was accomplished in one campaign. In like manner, God can do so much through His people, if we would simply obey God’s will.
Think about how God can do so much through our churches, families, and communities, if we would simply do His will.
However, the obvious lack of studying, serving, and giving in too many of our churches inspires a lack of confidence that we will be as effective as those in the text. Let’s work on letting God do a great work through us.
- Unity. Notice in vs. 43 the unity between the leader and the people. There are too many occasions where people come together for a common problem. However, when the problem is solved, they disburse to their normal division.
Let’s work on having a healthy amount of unity in our churches, families, and communities. We can do better together than we can separately.
Granted, we may make short term personal gains more quickly by ourselves; however, sustained and significant gains often call for a coalition larger than our individual efforts.
Conclusion: Let’s work on obeying God. God has much for those who obey His will.Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.