Introduction: A key idea in today's lesson is that God used faithful women to share the news that Jesus had risen. This discussion centers around how, “we will be challenged to receive God's word and power regarding the risen Christ."
Summary Highlights: The first day of the week is Sunday. Some women went to care for Jesus' dead body. The stone was rolled away, and Jesus' body was not found. Two men stood beside the women. In addition to dealing with the fear and emotions of the moment, they are reminded of Jesus' words.
Jesus had prophesied that He would be resurrected. The women went and told the disciples. The disciples did not believe them. In fact, Peter had doubts, even after looking into the empty tomb.
1. A dead body. Notice that the women went to take care of a dead body. …..Let's make sure we are operating by faith, instead of simply by what seems right to us (see Pro. 14:12).
2. Why are you looking? Notice the question in vs. 5, "Why do you look for the living among the dead"? .....Let's stop looking for those things that only God can supply among the things of this world.
3. God’s trustworthiness. Notice that in vss. 6-7 that Jesus kept His word about being resurrected. ….. Let’s live like we really trust God’s promises.
4. Remembering. Notice in vs. 8 that the women remembered the words of the Lord. .....Let’s work on filling our memory banks with God’s word and will.
5. God’s use of women. Notice that the word of Jesus' resurrection was first carried by women. ..….Let's make sure that we don't miss out on God's message, because we are distracted by God's messenger.
What is one thing you will take from this material and work on, in regard to your discipleship goals?