Introduction: A key idea in this lesson is God uses people to help His people, when they repent from their sins. This discussion centers around how, “we will be challenged to repent from our sins and let God use us, in His service."
Read: Judges 6:1-3, 7-14
Summary Highlights: The children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord. Consequently, they were under the authority of the Midianites. They built dens in the mountains for apparently some type of protection. The children of Israel cried unto the Lord. God sent a prophet.
The prophet reminded them of how good God had been to them and how they disobeyed God. An angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon. Gideon is not pleased with what appeared to be God's forsaking His people. The Lord chose Gideon to be the deliverer anyhow.
1. Sin. Notice in vs. 1 that the cause of the seven years of oppression was the people's doing evil in the sight of the Lord......Let's work on stopping our evil doing and increasing our righteous living, so we don't have to experience God's punishment.
2. Repentance. Notice in vs. 7 that the people cried unto the Lord as an act of repentance...... Let’s repent quickly, instead of waiting for seven years.
3. Rehearsing our history. Notice in vss. 8-10 the rehearsal of history. ….. Let's work on reflecting on the goodness of the Lord and learning from the mistakes that we find in our history.
4. Blaming others. Notice in vs. 10 that the root cause of the people's problem was their sin. .....Let's work on our sins, instead of simply blaming others.
5. God’s perspective. Notice in vs. 13 that Gideon had some serious doubts about God being as loving as he had heard about......Let's stay sensitive to hearing the word of God, even when things don't look right to us.
6. God’s use of people. Notice in vs. 14 that the Lord still chose Gideon. …..Let’s work on discerning God’s use of people.
What is one thing you will take from this material and work on, in regard to your discipleship goals?