Baptist Articles of Faith: Teaching Two
Introduction: The Baptist Articles of Faith should be reviewed from time to time, as suggested by passages like Titus 3:8. Today, we hope to discuss the third and fourth article.
Read Article 3: Of the Fall of Man
We essentially believe that humanity was created by God. Humanity started out in a state of holiness. However, humanity disobeyed God by following after Satan. Humanity has a corrupt nature.
Teaching Points –
- Genesis 1:27 teaches that humanity, male and female, was created by God. This stands in opposition to our evolving from a lesser animal. Genesis 1:31 declares that all that God created, including humanity was very good. Remember that God created that which was good.
- Genesis 3:6 shows that even though humanity, male and female, knew better, they sinned against God. Even though Satan tempted them, humanity was responsible. Note that our ancestors chose to sin against God.
- Romans 5:19 teaches that because all of humanity is related by the one person of Adam, in Genesis, all of humanity is born with a sin problem. We are born with imputed sin. Psalms 51:5 supports the idea of being sinners from our start.
John 3:18 underscores that an unbeliever is not neutral but already condemned and in trouble with God. Note that we came into this world in need of a savior.
- On top of our imputed sin, Romans 3:23 teaches that all of humanity has sinned. Note that we have two sources of sin in our lives – imputed and personal.
- Romans 6:23 teaches that the wages or cost or our sins is death. Note that all of this sin is a problem because it leads to death.
In summary, we believe that humanity was created in a state of holiness but decided to sin. This sin nature has been passed down every since Adam and Eve, so that now all of humanity has both imputed and personal sin.
Read Article 4: Of the Way of Salvation
Essentially, we believe that salvation comes 100% by grace. Jesus mediated the payment for our sins. And He is our savior.
Teaching Points –
- Ephesians 2:8-9 makes it clear that it is only by grace that humanity can be saved. We received the grace of God, by the faith that God gave us to receive it with. Notice there is no room for boasting, in light of Jesus paying the price for us.
- II Corinthians 5:21 is another clear scriptural support for Jesus taking our place. He who knew no sin became sin for us. He did this, so we could be declared righteous. In other words, Jesus and us traded places. His righteousness took the place of our sinfulness.
No wonder Romans 6:23 does not only talk about the wages of sin being death, but it also says that the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. And then notice that Hebrews 7:25 teaches that Jesus intercedes and works for the salvation of those who come to Him.
In summary, we believe that the only way for sinful humanity to be right with God is to receive the grace of God extended to us through the mediatorial ministry of Jesus Christ.
Conclusion: Let’s work on remembering, understanding, and living by our Baptist Articles of Faith. God has much for those who obey His word.
Please click here to let us know, if this has been quality and helpful information for you (i.e., make sure you let us know the name of the article). Feel free to share your questions and comments about the article as well.
From Baptist Articles of Faith: Teaching Two to Baptist Doctrine
From Baptist Articles of Faith: Teaching Two to Home Page