Introduction: A key idea into today’s material is that God shared promises and prophesy with Abram. This discussion centers around how, “We will be challenged to trust God’s promises and prophecies for our lives.”
Read Genesis 15:1-3
I. The Predicament.
– Protection and provision. Notice in vs. 1 that God promises to be the shield and reward for Abram. ….. Let’s work on trusting God to be our protector and provider.
– Staying true to God’s promises. Notice in vs. 3 that Abram essentially says that since God did not give him a son, he has to do what he can with what he has.…..Let’s work on discerning God’s will and staying true to His promises.
Read Genesis 15:4-6
II. The Prophecy.
– Uncountable offsprings. Notice in vss. 4-5 that the Lord promises Abram an uncountable number of offsprings. .....Let’s live like we believe that God is a promise keeper.
Read Genesis 15:7-9
III. The Promise.
– God’s plans. Notice in vs. 7 that God brought the people out of one situation to bring them into a better situation. .....Let’s live like we trust God’s plans for our lives.
Read Genesis 15:10-17
IV. The Covenant Ratified.
– Giving, integrity, and trusting. Notice in vss. 9, 10, 17 that the Lord calls for the giving of a symbolic sacrifice. ….. Let’s work on our giving, keeping our word, and trusting God to be a promise keeper.
– Suffering. Notice in vss. 13-16 that there is to be 400 years of slavery, before God will punish the Amorites and give great possessions to Abram’s people......Let’s work on trusting God’s timing and promises, especially when we are suffering.
Conclusion: Let’s work on trusting God’s promises and prophecies for our lives. God has much for those who obey His will.
What is one thing you will take from this material and work on, in regard to your discipleship goals?
What is one thing you will take from this session and work on, in regard to your discipleship goals?